What's an Artist Mentor?

Around & Around, encaustic on shaped panel, 12x18, 2018

Everything that's ever been taught to me has been given to me as a gift, and it's not my right to keep it.
-Hopi saying

At the start of the 2018, I began something I've long wanted to do... mentoring artists!

I've been studying creativity for years, not to mention my own 30 years experience making art, exhibiting, lecturing and teaching. Through trial and error, detours and dead ends, I've learned a thing or two that I wish I'd learned a decade or so ago. If I had only had a mentor! Someone with experience that would have taken me aside and said...



"Hey, listen up, this is how this crazy business of being an artist works."

Since I began mentoring, I've facilitated the artistic growth and development of a many artists through monthly, one-on-one hour-long phone consultations where I give artists critical feedback on their work, help them manage their studio time, advise them on professional practices, given them inspirational assignments, creative assignments and have helped them focus their talent and energy toward their artistic goals. It's an incredibly rewarding to see my mentees progress! We deal with issues like how to...
Become Inspired
Get into the Studio
Develop Self-Discipline
How to Overcome Creative Block
Develop Your Creative Process
Feedback on Work in Process
Advice on Technique or Materials
Professional Development
Where to Show Your Art

This process of working with artists is highly individualized, confidential, and though there's a commitment on each artists' part, they can quit whenever you choose. For some artists I assign exercises, tasks and studio work. For others I suggest readings, reflections, journaling and outings.

If any of this resonates with you, if you're struggling and can't quite figure out how to break out or if you're ready to step it up and work toward your full creative potential, then email me and I'll send you more info about consultations. Or, just visit this blog often or subscribe and it will land in your inbox. My plan is to post weekly with info, insight and resources, both artistic and professional, that I hope will help you meet your creative aspirations.

Comments