May Update

Just a little context...  if you're wondering why I am doing this blog-thing, which I often ask myself, you can find out in the "My Intentions" post from January.  


Since my last post....


So, truth be known, when I added a monthly visit to NYC to my grant proposal, it was a last minute, this sounds like fun, afterthought.  I never realized that it would become such a large item on my monthly to-do list.  I've found that, as exciting and stimulating as NYC is, it takes a lot of planning and preparation to get there, and a lot of research and strategy to see the best exhibits.  I actually think I'm seeing more of NYC that when I lived there (during my art school days) and probably taking in more exhibits that the average New Yorker.  These visits have certainly pacified any romantic ideas I've had of moving there, at least for the time being.    


In lieu if NYC, April presented itself with an invitation to teach as a visiting artist in Chicago, so I added on a 3 extra days to get my art fix.  Not only did my students post a blog about a talk I gave, but they gave me some great recommendations of what to see which included...


Frank Gehry's Pritzker bandshell

Day 1 -  The Museum of Contemporary Art, the Art Institute (Fab!), along with being totally wowed by the architecture!  My foggy memory of my course in "History of Modern Architecture" got a workout and I rode 'the Loop' just to take it all in. Dinner with Greek hubby Christos, at the Parthenon in Greek Town, made the day complete.      


Christos and Magdalena Abakanowicz's Agora


Day 2 - Breakfast at The Yoke, a visit to Magdalena Abakanowicz's Agora, followed by a gallery marathon in the West Loop and River North districts.  In the spirit of having a complete Chicago experience, this vegetarian even ate an authentic Chicago hot dog!

Anish Kapoor's Cloud Gate

Day 3 - The Cultural Center, a second hit at both the Art Institute, a visit to Frank Gehry's Pritzker bandshell, a collision of sculpture, architecture and landscape with the Chicago skyline as it's backdrop and Anish Kapoor's Cloud Gate.


Hyde students making molds

The plane barely landed and I had to hit the ground running with a day of teaching as a visiting artist at the Hyde School in Bath, Maine.  The students (I love them all!) used clay to create negative molds. Next, they poured plaster into the cavity to create a positive form, hence turning a negative into a positive. To further the challenge the students were encouraged to sculpt a personal symbol that stood for something in their life that is negative, but they are working to make positive. Example: Procrastination (negative), into Time Management (positive) = A Clock (symbol)



For May, back to NYC...


For May, I returned to the big apple.  Here are some great shows to see if you're in NYC and worth looking at online if you're not...



Exhibits Just Past...


Executive Director Wayne Atherholt with my work at the Morean Arts Center

My kinetic work was part of a exhibit Wax: Medium Meets Message show at the Morean Arts Center in St. Petersburg, Florida.  The exhibit ended on May 28th but lives in internet infinity in these online reviews...

Quantum Revival at Momentum X

My work was also on view at Momentum X at the George Marshall Store Gallery in York, ME.  This is the exhibit annually features work of the AAG Grant Recipient along with that of the  finalists.  This exhibit ended on May 27th, but you can still see and read all about it here...

Exhibits Up Now...


 Switchback, encaustic, 24x36 at Bowersock Gallery

My newest works will be on exhibit at Distinctly Encaustic, Bowersock Gallery in Provincetown  from Friday, June 1st with a reception from 7 to 9pm, through June 19th.  And I currently have some new work at Arden Gallery in Boston, MA.

Traces of Motion II, encaustic, 24x24 at Arden Gallery



  Stuff Moves, the is moving to Maine! 


Tertuim Quid, click here to see them in motion

The Engine is a creative art center and in Biddeford, ME with an ambitious mission to propel the creative community.  This large, high ceiling, wide open gallery space poses a unique opportunity for me to exhibit, not only Stuff Movesmy recent body of kinetic sculptural work,  but my large kinetic installation Bardo State along with Wave Phenomena.  It will be a first to see all this work together.  



See Bardo State in motion here. 


Wave Phenomena

Hope you can come!!! 

  Stuff Moves
The Engine, Biddeford, Maine

June 15th - July 21
Reception June 15th, 5-7
Artist Talk, June 15th at 6:30
Biddeford Art Walk, June 29 5-8 (non stop art walk talk, yikes!)



Comments